Thursday, December 15th, 2011
Virgin Australia Unveils First Phase Of Inflight Entertainment Plans
You may have noticed that in 2011, as our new planes have joined the fleet, they have been missing an IFE system, ie the TVs in the back of the seats.
We have today announced that we will be collaborating with industry leader, Lufthansa Systems, to develop a state of-the-art inflight entertainment system using Wi-Fi technology delivered to personal, hand-held devices on our aircraft.
Group Executive Product and Guest Services, Martin Daley, said the two companies had signed a letter of intent to produce and install the initial systems, known as BoardConnect, from mid-2012.
“This system, considered to be at the leading edge of inflight entertainment technology, provides guests with a wide range of products including video and audio streaming delivered on demand to personal entertainment devices or Wi-Fi enabled laptops.
“Our new entertainment system will provide guests with more options than ever before to tailor their inflight entertainment experience to their personal tastes along with the freedom to choose how and when they access inflight entertainment.
“This latest product release, combined with our new Business Class and Economy Class cabin environment, further enhances the inflight experience,” he said.
Mr. Daley said the growing number of travellers carrying their own devices meant this new inflight entertainment system would allow Virgin Australia to remain at the forefront of technology.
Features will include:
* Ability to control and view content from personal entertainment devices (PEDs) and WiFi enabled laptops;
* Extensive range of movies, television and audio content;
* On demand controls to start, stop, rewind, fast forward and pause content;
* Selection of games for adults and children including arcade style games in future releases; and
* Service and Product information including destination / airport guides, travel offers and Velocity information in future releases.
Are you happy knowing that you will be able to use your own portable devices on board our flights?